Notice: Undefined index: reset in /var/www/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/cets_blog_defaults.php on line 733

Deprecated: define() was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 3.0.0! The constant VHOST is deprecated. Use the boolean constant SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL in wp-config.php to enable a subdomain configuration. Use is_subdomain_install() to check whether a subdomain configuration is enabled. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5497
Indy Carpenter tells her apprenticeship story - Apprenticeships

Posted by on 04 December 2018

Indy Carpenter
Administrative Assistant Apprentice

My name is Indy Carpenter and I am currently doing a Level 2 Business Administration Apprenticeship at the University of Exeter, working as an Administrative Assistant in Estate Services.

After finishing my GCSE’s I wasn’t really aware of how many opportunities there were for Apprentices, so I had made the decision that I was going to study A-levels at the sixth form of Clyst Vale Community College. Within days of starting I had questioned whether it was the right thing for me and whether it was really what I wanted to be doing. I gave it a chance and continued for 3 months before I came to the conclusion that I wanted to get out there and do something more work based. This was when I decided that I would go in search for an apprenticeship. I chose the route of becoming an apprentice because I felt it would benefit me and my situation massively as I wasn’t looking to go to University, I would be able to gain qualifications and valuable life skills as well as earning money for myself at the same time.

I had no idea what kind of job I wanted to do or where I wanted to work until some family friends who also work at the University made me aware of what it was like to work here and how many opportunities there were on offer. I was immediately intrigued and did lots of research on the University of Exeter website, I also signed up with indeed.com to notify me whenever any level 2 apprenticeships came on offer. As soon as the job for an Administrative Assistant popped up and I read through everything it would be composed of, I had my heart set on doing a job of this nature.

The application process was clear and easy to follow, although took a long time to complete. In preparing for my interview, I wrote down a list of questions that the panel may ask and came up with bullet point answers to these questions. This helped me massively when it came to the interview because I felt I had some sort of guideline to follow as an idea as to what I could say, instead of being put on the spot.

The lead up to the interview was extremely nerve wracking for me as I had a real lacking in confidence. However, I was made to feel at ease by the whole panel which immediately settled my nerves. When I got the call from my manager explaining that I got the job, I was overjoyed at the idea that I would finally be doing something that I believed I was going to really enjoy.

The best thing about being an apprentice is the fact that I get to learn so many new skills in preparation for the future, as well as having the knowledge that I learn from the college to take forward with me. On top of this, I am earning a salary meaning that I have no reason to need a job outside of the University, so after a long week, I have the weekends to enjoy. I love the fact that I feel like I’m a real part of the team in my department, my colleague’s do all that they can to support me and help me benefit from the experience as much as they possibly can.

I don’t really have a ‘typical week’ as each week can vary with many different jobs and tasks coming my way. However I am expected to do specific jobs on a day to day basis such as welcoming visitors and answering phone calls. I feel as though this has been the biggest aspect to my gaining in confidence over the last year. I may also be expected to; book room locations for meetings, book travel and accommodation for my colleagues, prepare documents such as letters, deal with spreadsheets, send out shutdown notices and many more.

I started my job at the end of January and had some time to settle in before I then started my college course in February. I had to go to college once a week for 18 weeks to learn vital knowledge for my exams that I had to take at the end of each topic. I did this alongside other apprentices around the area from different businesses, it was a great chance to meet new people and find out about other apprenticeships on offer. I am also set tasks on a e-portfolio system called ‘one file’, these can range from knowledge questions to reflective accounts to case studies…all of which count towards my final qualification. My skills officer visits me at work every 6-8 weeks to review how I am getting on, I believe this to be very helpful in tracking my progress and I know that I could speak to her if there were ever any problems.

I find it quite easy to stay on top of my college work because if there is ever a quiet period at work then I can just log in to my ‘OneFile’ online portfolio to add something to my assignments. My colleagues are extremely understanding when it comes to my workload and I am sometimes given the opportunity to sit in another office on my own so that I have a chance to work on my assignments.

If I could give anyone considering an apprenticeship any advice, it would be to just go for it! There are an unlimited amount of opportunities both inside and outside of the University and I wish I found that out for myself sooner! However it is important to do lots of research so that you know exactly what you are applying for and whether it’s for you. Moving from doing half a week at sixth form to a full time apprenticeship is a huge shock to the system at first, but you get used to the hours and it’s so worth it in the long run! I’d say the best thing I’ve learnt since working here is to be aware that you aren’t expected to know everything. Apprenticeships are there for you to train and learn new things. If you are unsure of something, ask! Your colleagues are there to help you.

Working at the University has opened up so many opportunities for my future and I couldn’t be happier with myself for building up the courage to take this step.