Members of the Campus Services team have created this beautiful timeline. It is made from a section of the leaning Monterey Pine that stood at the top of the steps by Reed’s formal Italianate Garden. The timeline now stands where the tree once stood. The labels show when Reed Hall Gardens were laid out in the 1860s, when Reed was donated to the University in 1920 and when the University received its Royal Charter.
Below are photos of the current gardens, gardens from around 2002 and some from the 1990s.
This last picture is also interesting as it shows what was the Campus’ tallest tree, a Metasequoia (middle-left at the top of the picture) which had to be taken down around 15-20 years ago.
It is also interesting that photographers recording images of the gardens decades apart seems to choose similar angles!
This last picture shows the Reed gardens in winter. Date unknown.
Reed winter bedding
Reed Hall in the background.
The Property Services Mason, Chris Price, has been busy re-instating the Italianate balustrades at Reed Hall gardens.