An 80,000 word thesis would take 9 hours to present

Your time limit…3 minutes

Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia. Run in the UK by Vitae, 3MT® challenges doctoral candidates to present a compelling spoken presentation on their research topic and its significance in just three minutes.

We held our first 3MT® competition last year, with our winner Simon Dickinson going on to represent Exeter in the National Semi-final. Here’s why Simon thinks you should enter 3MT®:

I found the 3MT® competition an incredibly valuable experience – not only in further developing my public speaking skills, but in giving me space to think about actually what I’m trying to achieve. It’s always difficult during the PhD period to take the time to return to articulating your core intentions, but in designing my 3MT presentation I was given space to do this in a way that also developed my communication and engagement skills….Most of all, however, it’s good fun – and if you treat it as such then I think your presentation (and research) comes across in a much more powerful way!

You can watch Simon’s fantastic 3MT® here for inspiration!

We are holding an internal 3MT® competition to determine who will represent the University of Exeter in the 2017 National Semi-Finals. Heats will take place throughout May 2017, culminating with a University Wide Final on 30th May 2017. A total of £600 Amazon Vouchers will be awarded as prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. To enter, simply submit your online application form by Friday 7th April at 5pm!