In our Graduate in Focus series we look at the achievements of our MSc graduates who have excelled in marine science around the world since studying with us. Today’s blog is about Pedro Warner, MSc Marine Environmental Management graduate (2021) and now a Fisheries Advisor with Cefas. 

What have you been doing since leaving Exeter, and what are you doing now?  

Nov 2021-Jan 2022: I initially worked as a research/data technician for the University of Exeter with Cornwall councils environmental growth team.

Jan – March 2022: I worked as a marine Analyst for The Strategy Works

March – July 2022: I worked as a CCAMLR Scientific Fisheries Observer working offshore around the Western Antarctic Peninsula, CCAMLR subarea 48.1.

Sept 2022 – Present: I am now a Fisheries Adviser for Cefas. 50% of the role is fisheries and fish ecology advice and the other 50% is in aiding in research and development projects for publication or policy development.

Why did you choose this career? And what do you enjoy most about your work?

I love the mix of applied and academic science the role at Cefas offers. I enjoy using the current literature to advise on the impacts various anthropogenic activities have on marine ecology. Its great for identifying gaps in our current knowledge and then addressing that through research.

What did you enjoy most about your programme and what did you enjoy most about studying at the University of Exeter, Cornwall?

I love the lectures Callum Roberts gave, and how he incorporated in the most recent developments in marine conservation into our lectures on the history of marine exploitation. I enjoyed the location and professors (Julie Hawkins was especially great at making everyone feel involved and welcomed).

Why did you choose to study at Exeter?

The location and to study the MEM course which was moved there from York.

What skills and experiences have been most useful for your career?

GIS, fisheries management, MPA science and the basic coding in R was especially useful.

What advice would you give to a current student who wishes to pursue your career?

Really try take your time when choosing your thesis research project. Think about the professor. If you don’t get the course you want, many people did a project with external institutes like PML.

What are your plans for the future?

Possibly a PhD by Research if I can get the publications….

Interested in studying with us? Our world-leading marine research underpins a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes: Research-led teaching | Exeter Marine | University of Exeter.