Destination: San Jose!

With the field course due to begin tomorrow the majority of us will be on our way to San Jose ready and raring to go! Here’s what a few of our Costa Rica Social media reps are most excited for.

“Hi! I’m Kellyanne, currently in my final year Studying BSc Zoology. I am so excited for the Costa Rica Field Course Fortnight, as this will be my first trip, of hopefully many, of this kind. Through modules undertaken and my research project I have gained a strong interest in sensory ecology. I am particularly intrigued by animal colouration as an anti-predator strategy. Hopefully we will get numerous chances to see an amazing array of animals exhibiting these strategies, from Red-eyed tree frogs and Strawberry poison frogs to leaf mimicking katydids.”

Red-eyed tree frog Agalychnis callidryas

– With strong suction cup toe pads red-eyed tree frogs are exceptionally agile climbers.
During the day red-eyed tree frogs mostly rest, keeping their bright red eyes closed to remain camouflaged in the surroundings. When disturbed they reveal these red eyes to startle potential predators!

Blog1

“Hi, I’m Lily. I’m a 4th year Zoology student who has recently returned from studying abroad in Canada. I am incredibly excited I get the chance to see Costa Rica’s rich selection of flora and fauna and am especially hoping to see a three-toed sloth. As well as being my ‘spirit animal’ (slow moving and enjoys a good ol’ sleep) it is unique because of its fur coat which contains symbiotic algae and its surprisingly agile swimming abilities, despite its reputation.”

Three-toed Sloth Bradypus variegatus

– They have the ability to turn their heads up to 300 degrees as they have nine certebrae. This allows them an increased span of vision to survey for predators.
– They have multi chambered stomachs which contain bacterial symbionts which slowly break down their diet of leaves. Sloths have the slowest digestion of any mammal, taking roughly two weeks to process one meal!

Episode 1.  PICTURE SHOWS:  Newbie dangling from tree

“Hello! I’m Sophia a 3rd year Zoology Msci student, and blog rep for field course Costa Rica. After traveling abroad for the first time in the summer to work with the North Cyprus Marine Turtle Conservation Project I have definitely caught the travel bug and cannot wait to be able to explore the Costa Rican jungle! Top of my list of wildlife I would love to see has to be the jaguar, closely followed by Margay, which fingers crossed we will capture on one of the many camera traps we are taking. However, overall I just can’t wait to see the incredible biodiversity of Costa Rica first hand!”

Margay Leopardus wiedii

– The only true arboreal adapted feline, margay are the only cat able to rotate their hind legs 180 degrees, allowing them to run down trees vertically and hang from branches with one foot!
– A margay’s tail is roughly 70% of its body length and is therefore used as an efficient counter balance.

Blog3

“I’m Hattie, a 4th year zoology student and I’ve just returned from my year studying abroad in Canada. It is difficult to choose one animal or plant that I am most looking forward to seeing, as Costa Rica provides a lot to choose from! However, after seeing the incredible footage in Planet Earth 2, I cannot wait to try and catch a glimpse of the Glass Frog. Although they may prove difficult to spot as their translucent skin and nocturnal activity helps them to avoid predation”

Glass Frog Hyalinobatrachium dianae

– This species of glass frog is lime green with a translucent abdomen means the liver, heart and intestines can be observed from underneath.
–  Costa Rica is known to be home to 13 other species of glass frog.

Blog4

Don’t forget to follow all our social media accounts for updates along the way of Field Course Costa Rica and to see if we manage to see any of these stunning animals during our stay!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/costaricafieldcourse
Instagram: @fieldcoursefortnight
Twitter: @uoefieldcrica

aan207    January 6th, 2017    Costa Rica    , ,