Singapore – For Business, For Culture and For Study…
Although small in size, Singapore is a highly developed global hub for business and one of the main economic power houses of South East Asia. Our partner university Nanyang Technological University (NTU), is one of the leading institutions of higher education in the Asia-Pacific region, and is currently ranked 47th (QS rankings) in the top 100 universities in the world.
Singapore – For Business
Don’t just take our word for it, there are numerous articles and blogs that cite Singapore as the place to be for business:
‘Go Global to Win’, a business blog written by international trade consultants, described the following key points that set Singapore apart from other global Business centres:
- It’s the easiest place in the world to do business.
- It’s the best landing opportunity for the dynamic Asian market through its modern port.
- It’s the world’s leader in high-tech exports.
- It ranks highest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics education among industrialised countries (Source: World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report 2011-12).
- Its exports share of GDP is 211% (Source: World Bank).
The Farmleigh Fellowship 2013 blog, written by a team spearheading business links between Ireland and Asia, acknowledges that Singapore is perfectly situated to be at the forefront of Global Financial Centres.
If you want to spend your year abroad somewhere where you can really experience life in an exciting and expanding international business capital, where you can network with professionals and see successful and innovative businesses working firsthand, then Singapore is the place for you.
Singapore – For Culture
It’s not all work here – the culture of Singapore is a melting pot of Chinese, Indian, British, and Malay cultures. With a population of around 5 million people, 42% of which are foreigners, Singapore has a truly diverse mix of communities, religions and cultural heritages. You might think that this myriad of cultures living side by side in such a small space may cause problems, however the mutual respect people have for each can be clearly seen in daily interactions and during festive celebrations.
As a cosmopolitan city, there are numerous international restaurants, shops, markets and festivals to keep you busy, as well as the famous Raffles Hotel and Rainforest Zoo to pay a visit to. It is famously known as the cleanest city in the world, with excellent internal and external travel links, and English is widely spoken as one of the official languages.
The official Singapore Tourism website ‘Your Singapore’ is an excellent site to get to know the city before you go, and see what’s on while you’re there. For such a small place, you’ll be surprised by how much it has to offer.
NTU – For Study
Exchange students who go to NTU join the GEM Trailblazer programme, which offers a full range of business modules as well as subjects in social sciences, arts and humanities, and engineering and the sciences. As a Business School exchange student you need to take a minimum of 75% in business related topics, but are free to broaden your learning in other subjects with the remaining 25% if you wish.
NTU describes GEM Tralblazer as “a unique Asian adventure featuring classroom, laboratory, or career learning in cosmopolitan Singapore. As a truly global institution with over 8000 international students, NTU offers a diverse and enriching array of programmes and a wealth of opportunities – all on a vibrant garden campus.”
At NTU you will mix with like-minded people and gain an international experience of a lifetime. As a development opportunity, an exchange year at NTU will make you stand out to graduate employers, especially those who recruit on a global scale.
What our students think….
Karolis Kucinskas, a current 3rd year BA Business & Accounting with International Study student, has just arrived in Singapore and gives us his initial impressions:
“Exchange students are really looked after (at NTU): orientations and city tours are organised. Surely the first impression was difficulty to breath because of hot weather and 90% humidity, however fans and air conditioners are everywhere helping to cope. Also, most of the pavements have roof over, so one can walk across the whole campus without getting in the sun (or rain).
I arrived just on time for the 48th National Day Celebration. Got a chance to enjoy the military parade and watch fireworks right by the Merlion Station next to Marina Bay. The view was breathtaking. I am now looking forward to the start of my classes, including Chinese for Beginners.”
We hope to hear further updates from Karolis once he is settled in.
If you would like to find out more about studying in Singapore at NTU, or any other Study Abroad destination, please do not hesitate to contact us for any advice: Business-School-Exchanges@ex.ac.uk.