Budgeting while at university

Written by BA Art History & Visual Culture and History student Niamh

The cost of university for many students can be a worrying subject. For instance, I was quite apprehensive about spending money in my first few weeks at university as I was totally new to the subject. Gone were the days where I would be able to walk into the kitchen and find a whole host of foods from the weekly family shop. I now had to this myself but how much would I able to spend? When managing your finances, it’s vital to be honest about what you spend and how you spend it. I had not realised the cost of having a takeaway coffee 2-3 times a week. Many students can underestimate their expenditure by as much as 50%! This however doesn’t have to cause alarm.

The first step I took was to look at how much money I would receive from student finance. I knew my tuition fee would go straight to the university and my maintenance loan would be deposited into my student bank account. I had never before had to pay rent at home and it was at first quite daunting having money in my account I knew I had to spend wisely. After calculating how much money I would have to be put towards my student accommodation rent, I then had money left over for food shopping and leisure activities.

I had before coming to university saved some money in my savings account in case my budgeting skills were a bit rusty. I also knew I would like to find a part-time job at university which would ease my financial worries and give me more breathing space to over spend if needed or in case an emergency arose.

The next step I took was to evaluate how much I would typically eat in a week or two weeks, did I need to buy three packets of pasta or would I be able to use one or two? Calculating your own budget on the amount of food you will consume is easier said than done! My top tip would be to write down the maximum amount of money you would be willing to spend on your food shop. If your food budget covers more than your shop cost then that means more money for something else e.g. leisure activities. Sharing with flatmates or housemates with key condiments such as salt, pepper even toiletries cut my weekly budget towards essentials down.

After completing my food shop I then knew how much I could spend on the week ahead. Its best to remember that some sports, societies and subscriptions you may sign up to in Fresher’s week require fees or regular payments. This was something else I had to contend with when writing down my budget. I knew I had to keep some money aside to pay for cricket equipment, sessions and club stash. Money set aside for socialising was an important part of my budget as I knew I would have to spend money on catching up with friends and clubbing on Friday nights. Although budgeting may seem somewhat restricting on what you can or cannot spend your money on, for me it helped me organise my week and allowed me to continue my studies without starting to worry about my new financial situation.

Below are a few tips that could help ease your financial worries whilst university budgeting!

For other costs – take your weekly budget out as cash from a free ATM at the start of each week. This way you can keep a better track of what you are spending and be able to see physically, the change and notes you have for the rest of the week. This made me think twice about wanting to break into a £20 note for a £2 chocolate bar!

I applied for my first credit card at university however I kept it separate and only required it in case of emergencies. Ensure you pay it off each month rather than getting charged. This was similar to my student overdraft which I tried not to dip into, although it was interest free I knew eventually I would have to pay it off. It is not free money!

Remember when attending university, to keep track of your finances. A little notebook could be helpful to jot down outgoings and money coming into your account such as your student loan, part time work or money sent from family members or guardians. Don’t let your money worries detract you from your studies and enjoyment of university life! There are many activities, opportunities and events which are free to attend put on either by the university, student union or by your friends. I have had great fun in creating activities and trying to find the cheapest alternatives to buying things, thus saving money. Its part of the university experience!

20 thoughts on “Budgeting while at university

1. Hello this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know
    if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get
    guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

2. Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

3. Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.

When I look at your blog site in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
    has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!

Other then that, very good blog!

4. Hey there! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but
    I needed to ask. Does managing a well-established website
    such as yours take a large amount of work? I am brand new to operating a
    blog however I do write in my diary on a daily basis. I’d
    like to start a blog so I will be able to share my own experience
    and views online. Please let me know if you have
    any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
    Thankyou!

5. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful info particularly the last section 🙂 I maintain such info a lot.
    I used to be looking for this particular information for
    a very long time. Thanks and best of luck.

6. I think everything typed was actually very logical. However, what
    about this? suppose you added a little information? I am not suggesting your information is not
    good, but what if you added a headline that grabbed folk’s attention?
    I mean Budgeting while at university – The Humanities Blog is kinda vanilla.
    You might peek at Yahoo’s home page and note how they write post titles to get viewers to open the links.
    You might add a related video or a related
    picture or two to grab readers interested about what
    you’ve got to say. In my opinion, it would make your posts a little livelier.

7. I’m pretty pleased to discover this web site. I wanted to thank
    you for your time due to this wonderful read!!
    I definitely appreciated every little bit of it and i also have you book
    marked to look at new things in your site.

8. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also
    defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people
    can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

9. I think that everything said made a great deal of sense.
    However, consider this, what if you wrote a catchier post title?
    I ain’t saying your content isn’t solid., however what if you added something that makes people want more?

I mean Budgeting while at university – The Humanities Blog is a little plain. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s home page and note how they create news headlines to grab people to click.

You might try adding a video or a pic or two to grab readers excited about everything’ve got
    to say. In my opinion, it could bring your blog a little
    livelier.

10. Thanks for another excellent post. Where else could anybody
    get that kind of info in such a perfect method of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the look for such information.