Campaigns and Research Intern – Humanitarian Aid Relief Trust

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I was working within the Advocacy and Communications team. I spent my time writing articles, researching pieces for HART’s news and blog; researching relevant issues affecting the communities with whom HART works to inform their advocacy, campaigns and communications teams. I monitored the political situation in countries where we work, and prepared internal and external briefings; designed and coordinated campaigns, events, and other advocacy activities; engaged with HART’s Parliamentary work, including preparing briefings and attending debates. I attended a House of Lords Sudan debate, which Baroness Cox was speaking at, and a Burma APPG meeting.

I did extensive research into the issue of human trafficking in India, Burma, Nigeria and Sudan, and wrote an article that has been published in HART’s newsletter. I then went on to research and write a blog post on the link between ethical clothing and modern slavery.

I had my main research projects that I worked on over the four weeks I was an intern, but I also helped out with my colleagues’ workload by proof-reading, forming documents and writing sections of the annual report.

HART is quite a small NGO and they therefore do not have the time to go into extensive detail on many serious issues that affect their partner countries. My human trafficking project  therefore allowed me to find out and put this horrific issue into manageable information, thus raising awareness.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

I was commuting for over an hour and a half every day, which was definitely a new experience for me! It took me a while to get used to, but I learnt to use this time well.

profile 2014