Economic Development Project Assistant – Devon County Council

data

What were your main roles and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

My main role in this internship involved analysing the date of project reports  to provide support to programme management and also for marketing projects. This data analysis was done on both excel and arcGIS. I also assisted with answering enquiries from the public, often involving detailed investigation of their issues. Alongside this, I was involved in updating the programme mapping.

During a weekly project management meeting with the project managers of CDS, BT and Openreach I suggested an idea which would help bring faster internet than planned to some rural communities by making a certain process more efficient. This idea was adopted with enthusiasm by Openreach and has now been used across 5 projects.

I provided much needed support in a very busy programme. Having an additional resource has helped in the programme’s delivery and allowed communication to be given regularly to members of the public.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

I had a really slow PC, which made working on large spreadsheets really quite frustrating. I eventually managed to get a slight PC upgrade which improved things. It was a case of waiting on the IT department and so there wasn’t a great deal I could do to speed things up. However, I did learn how to use excel in the most efficient way possible (using quicker types of formulas etc) which meant my processes took 2 hours instead of 8!