Name of Organisation: The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Description of Organisation: The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery (RAMM) is one of Britain’s finest regional museums and a flagship service of Exeter City Council. Its displays showcase world-class collections and collectors that tell the story of Exeter and Devon from the prehistoric to the present.
Name of Employer: Sophie Harbour
Job Title: Engagement Officer (Skills Development)
Internship Scheme used: Green Consultants
“We recruited two interns to work as Green Consultants.
One of our interns spent a week researching RAMM’s waste management and following her this developed:
- A sustainable agenda for waste management across the RAMM’s services, notably in relation to recycling of staff, shop, and café waste.
- A focus on taking forward the Green Champion initiative and making suggestions for reducing single use plastic waste.
- A more formal sustainable policy for the RAMM’s shop based on their verbal policy which is printable and can be shared with customers.
Our other intern researched potential methods of making RAMM’s museum building more energy efficient, more specifically by;
- Using energy assessment tools to identify key problem areas in addition to those suggested by staff (insulation, open space and lighting)
- Identifying key sustainability solutions to increase energy efficiency of the RAMM building by looking at new technology such as BEMS and best practice from similar buildings
- Suggesting solutions should be effective at increasing energy efficiency, be financially affordable as well as practically feasible in terms of implementation for a grade II listed building.
This internship was a real success. We didn’t find there were any aspects that didn’t go well. Both interns did a fantastic job with their research and the outcomes will be used in the future. The outcomes of which we will use to inform future funding applications in order to implement some of this work.”