Equality and Diversity Project Officer for Athena SWAN – CEMPS and CLES, University of Exeter

ATHENA Swan, UoE Internships, University of Exeter Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

During my internship I supported the Human Resources departments of the College of Life and Environmental Sciences and the College of Engineering, Maths and Physical Sciences in their work towards Athena SWAN Awards. Athena SWAN is a charter aiming to improve the recruitment, retention and promotion of women in science. I worked closely with the nine disciplines working towards Silver Athena SWAN Awards. The role included running focus groups, supporting and contributing to 12 working groups at discipline, college and university levels and supporting the improvement of policies and practices within the Colleges.

I really enjoyed my time at Exeter and gained valuable experience. My line manager was extremely supportive and was always finding opportunities for me to develop my skills and to take part in networking and training events. I enjoyed the different aspects of my role; including working at University level in HR and supporting the University Working group, but also working with staff in CEMPS and CLES and seeing the way policies and practices are implemented and experienced and the impact of Athena SWAN at a cultural level.

My role enabled me to develop my knowledge and work experience in Equality and Diversity and go on to my new role working on Athena SWAN at UCL.

Gaining Athena SWAN Awards is one of the key University objectives so my work was highly valued and appreciated.

harrietjones2