Fundraising and Administrative Intern – Pump Aid

pumpaid

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I am working as a Fundraising and Administrative Intern for an NGO/Charity called Pump Aid. They work in Malawi with the aim of providing clean water to as many people as possible. They have a base in Malawi, but I am in London working in a small team of about 6 or 7 daily. Because it is such a small charity, I have been very fortunate to be able to see how each aspect of the charity works. I have had meetings with each member of staff from the CEO to the graphic designer, so I feel like I have an incredibly in-depth knowledge of every angle of the organisation.

I have already been put in charge of all of the social media for the charity on a variety of different sites, as well as being responsible for the fundraising reconciliation. This involves using different databases and websites to record every donation that is received.

What would you say was your biggest achievement over the course of your internship?

I wrote my dissertation on the link between gender roles and water poverty in Africa, so I am very happy to be putting my degree to use!

What benefits did your internship bring to your employer?

The director of programmes has already asked for information, and I have put together a report for him based on my research, so hopefully I will be more involved in that side of the organisation more and more.