Graduate Technology Engineer – Plessey Semiconductors Ltd

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

My task was to stop CVDW6 from producing ‘chimney’ defects at the contact plug. I ran various experiments to solve the defect problem and allow the tool to be used in production. These included varying physical parameters and gas flows for both the deposition and etchback processes. Possible elimination of the problem was achieved by introducing a tungsten spacer prior to the main deposition. The project also included learning to operate the films toolset, assisting with process transfer and development.

I have developed a deeper understanding of microelectronics and more effective communication skills.

I managed to solve the manufacturing problem.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

My first impression of being in the company was being swamped by acronyms, but much to my relief I managed to pick them up, and meetings no longer seemed to consist of people spouting code.

“Kat has become a valued contributor to the team. She responded to any requests with enthusiasm and energy and she performed every task professionally.” – Line Manager