Renewables Assistant – JHWalter LLP

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

Analysis of opportunities for renewable energy investment including wind, biogas and PV. Research on certain technologies as well as policy change.  Consultation with a variety of statutory and non-statutory bodies. Drafting reports on constraints, feasibility and potential for a range of projects.

I developed my communication skills through contact with clients and colleagues within the Renewable Energy Team. I furthered my competence in several software systems. I developed skills in Microsoft Office, particularly in Excel through looking at the financial viability of various projects; working out payback periods and returns on investment. I learnt how to structure and present reports for clients and how these differ to a typical university report. Promap software was used for mapping and looking at the feasibility of projects. I recognised the importance of working in a tight timeframe. Often clients want timely and informative answers which are hard to give when waiting on information from third parties. I soon realised the importance of putting pressure on these third parties and following up calls with emails etc. to give more timely responses to clients and provide a better service.  I am sure the skills I have developed and lessons I have learnt will be applied in my future career.

“Sam proved to be a fast learner and  capable analyst and report writer. He provided valued support to the Renewables and Planning team during a very busy period of business development and showed ability to deal with new problems” – Consultant, JHWalter LLP