Student Case Study: University of Exeter

Name of Student:  Amelia Southern

Degree Subject: LLB Law

Job Title: Animal Behaviour Intern

Company Name: University of Exeter

Type of Internship: Student Campus Partnerships (SCPs) 

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

To assist with masters’ students’ research.

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?  

Helped collect data and analysed videos for the publication of a master’s student’s project.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

There was a situation where the video analysis software was not showing consistent measurements. To overcome this, I tried to find alternative video analysis software. As a result, we found a better software that we used for the duration of the project.

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

To begin some of the equipment we were using did not stay in place so we found alternative ways to fix the equipment so that it would not move.

Skills Learnt: 

• IT
  • Teamwork and Collaboration
  • Problem Solving

Attributes Developed:

• Confidence
  • Perseverance
  • Motivation
  • Creative thinking
  • Independence

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“I thoroughly enjoyed my internship and felt that I learnt a lot from the experience. From day one I was assisting with data collection and helping with data analysis. I enjoyed participating in the project throughout and found it exciting so see all the developments taking place. I really enjoyed being part of the research team and learning new skills such as video analysis.”