Student Case Study: Ask An Alum (UofE)

Name of Student:  Emily Im

Degree Subject:  English

Job Title: SCP 5520 Ask An Alum Administrator

Company Name:  University of Exeter

Type of Internship:  Student Campus Partnerships (SCPs)  

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

My main responsibility was to manage and record Ask An Alum applications and then connect students and graduates with alumni who could give them careers advice. I also searched and inputted data from Raiser’s Edge onto Microsoft Excel, produced and scheduled social media marketing material to promote Ask An Alum, and wrote copy advertising Ask An Alum for the careers newsletter.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

I helped connect over 60 alumni with students and graduates who applied for Ask An Alum.

Skills Learnt: 

• Ability to Work Under Pressure
  • Organisation
  • Customer Service

Attributes Developed:

• Logical thinking
  • Confidence
  • Independence

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

I had a brilliant time as Ask An Alum Administrator for the University’s Employability team. My three lovely managers gave me support and guidance when needed but also welcomed my own ideas. There was a lot of data inputting involved but I had the opportunity to be creative too when working on the marketing side of things. The internship as a whole has helped me develop the skills I need for the future and boosted my confidence. Therefore, it was a worthwhile experience.