Student Case Study:  Digital Humanities Lab

Name of Student:  Ollie Anthony

Degree Subject:  BA CH Archaeology and Anthropology

Job Title:  Advisory Intern

Company Name: Digital Humanities Lab, University of Exeter

Type of Internship:  Student Campus Partnerships (SCPs)

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?  

As an intern, I actively contributed to current College of Humanities research and teaching, by engaging in: digital photography, 3D printing, 2D and 3D imaging of artefacts and visual/audio media production. I also supported staff, partners and students of the University of Exeter to engage with the Lab’s facilities and equipment from the advisory desk. 

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?  

I successfully contributed to the running and delivery of three conferences, multiple seminars, two open days, numerous group tours and a digital exhibition. In large, this was hugely beneficial for the lab in contributing to their outreach to other parts of the University, including, though not limited to, prospective students, academics and alumni.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

I led a collaborative project between the Digital Humanities Lab and The Bill Douglas Cinema Museum. The project included digitisation of a panorama dating to 1845, forming part of the museum’s collections. The end goal was to create an online, interactive version of the panorama to increase interest in the collections within the museum. To undertake this task I utilised the Digital Humanities Lab spaces to take high quality photographs of the panorama, following this I created a .html webpage to display the digitised images. The result of this is that viewers on The Bill Douglas Cinema Museum website are now able to successfully interact with part of the panorama collection, increasing accessibility and interest in their broader collections.

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

Being the customer-facing team member of a highly technical field, I was often faced with difficult or highly specific questions related to parts of the lab spaces. I committed a lot of time into learning as much as I could about Digital Humanities, but the key is to acknowledge when you don’t know something and to ask those who do know for next time.

Skills Learnt:  

• Ability to Work Under Pressure
  • Organisation
  • Time and Work Load Management
  • Strategic Planning
  • Focus on Goals and Outcomes

Attributes Developed: 

• Logical thinking
  • Creative thinking
  • Independence
  • Work Ethic
  • Professionalism

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?  

“I would highly recommend anyone to uptake an internship with the university or another organisation. The experience I gained was amazing and it has really helped me going forward in my career.”