Graduate Case Study:  Harbour Housing 

Name of Student:  Emily Hill 

Job Title:  Communications and Research Intern

Company Name: Harbour Housing

Type of Internship:  Access to Internships (A2I), Graduate Business Partnerships (GBPs)

Description of Company: Harbour Housing provides accommodation and support for homeless and vulnerable people across Cornwall. We house a variety of people and our aim is to provide tailored support in order to help them to eventually live independently. People stay with us for up to and sometimes over two years in order that they have the chance to really turn their lives around at a pace appropriate to them, often moving through our different properties which offer increasing independence until they are ready to move on.

1. What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

I established and managed our social media, represented the organisation at partnership meetings, wrote and sent out press releases, acted as an ambassador at events, gave presentations and tours to stakeholders managed the company website and branding, applied for funding and managed projects.

1. What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?

I increased our social media following and engagement by over 2,000%, regularly had articles published in local press and trade journals, produced reports for commissioners and brought in funding for the organisation.

1. What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

The organisation I worked for was a homeless charity, and we found it difficult to move our clients into permanent accommodation due to the reluctance of landlords and lack of funds to cover deposit costs. I applied for grant funding for a project that would solve these issues, and was successful in securing £45,000 for the charity. As a result 20 individuals will now be able to move into their own homes.

1. What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

It was difficult to adapt to not being given instructions and having to use a lot of initiative in managing time and deciding on strategy. This came with time and practice.

1. Skills Learnt 
  • Communication
  • Teamwork
  • Persuasion
  • Customer Service
  • Ability to work under pressure
  1. Attributes Developed 
  • Researching
  • Networking
  • Initiative
  • Confidence
  • Motivation
  1. Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“Before undertaking my internship I could not really visualise myself in any professional role and wasn’t sure what I wanted out of a career. I have now developed the skills and experience to give me confidence in my own abilities, and the knowledge of the sector to help me in my future development. I also secured a permanent contract with the same organisation which I am very much looking forward to.”