Student Case Study: Mayes Creative    

Name of Student:  Evangelia Kappos

Degree Subject: BA English 

Job Title: Marketing Intern

Company Name: Mayes Creative

Type of Internship: Access to Internships (A2I)

Description of Company: Mayes Creative engages the communities of Cornwall, Isles of Scilly and beyond in creative experiences to explore their world through heritage, science, technology and the environment. We want to discover new ways of thinking and doing that are fun and surprising, encouraging inspiration and broadening horizons.

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

My key duties and responsibilities during my internship were the social media management of the company as well as, marketing and press releases.

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?

The key output I delivered to my employer was a social media campaign.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

I successfully marketed a project from the initial campaign idea to completion of a website page, content, and hashtag, which then resulted in the aimed for participation. This included schools in Cornwall getting involved and completing the challenge by sending the project origami suns to care homes, to spread community and joy.

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

My hashtag definitely could have taken off more with other people within the community and I believe this could have been helped by creating press releases for radio and local press, and encouraging relatives and family to take part. I began to do this but unfortunately ran out of time!

Skills Learnt 

• Communication
  • Teamwork and Collaboration
  • Negotiation
  • Leadership
  • Persuasion

Attributes Developed 

• Confidence
  • Initiative
  • Perseverance
  • Motivation

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“This internship empowered me to consider myself an asset to a workplace, and to enter the job market after university with confidence and self-assurance. It also underlined to me in helpful ways where I can grow and develop as a result of the mentorship I received and through working with my fellow students.”