Student Case Study: Northcott Theatre

Name of Student:  Alice Thornton-Kemsley

Degree Subject: BA Geography

Type of Internship:  Green Consultants Scheme

Company Name: Northcott Theatre

Job Title: Green Consultant

Description Of Company: Exeter Northcott Theatre is a flourishing mid-scale regional theatre offering high quality performance and participation programmes engaging c.100,000 people per annum. We are based on the Exeter University campus and have been in existence since 1967. The Exeter Northcott Theatre Archive is housed in the University of Exeter Special Collections to ensure its preservation and enable access for research and learning. The Archive comprises of operational and production records spanning the period from its opening in 1967 to its refurbishment in 2007 and is a valuable piece of South West theatre history, showcasing the theatre as a training ground for writers, makers and performers of note.

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

My key duties and responsibilities were to assess current sustainability measures in place and then to suggest any further changes which could be made in the theatre to improve the sustainability in both the short and long term future.

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?

After my initial meeting with the client – where we discussed current sustainability measures and potential changes, I wrote up a detailed report – including other examples and images – which was then sent to the client. There was also the option of a follow up meeting at a later date if required.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

My biggest achievement on my internship was developing a good client rapport. Due to COVID-19 after a number of emails beforehand, we had an initial meeting on site, where I had a tour of the facilities and discussed options. This set up an open conversation about the logistic and feasibility of changes.  I was working alone, from home, meaning I had to be organised and independent.

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

With such an open aim of improving sustainability practices I struggled to choose which output to hand back to the client. I decided a document would be most comprehensive which I then confirmed with the client.

Skills Learnt: 

• Communication
  • Problem Solving
  • Persuasion
  • Organisation
  • Time and Work Load Management

Attributes Developed:

• Initiative
  • Perseverance
  • Creative thinking
  • Independence
  • Work Ethic

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“This experience has been truly rewarding and has taught me so much. Even if I do not end up going into the sector, I have gained a wide range of skills which I know will go on to help me in other work environments. Working for a client has been such a key aspect of this project, and I have seen the importance of client rapport, independent research and organisation.”