Student Case Study – OverAir 

Name of Student:  Brittany Willis

Degree Subject: BA English

Type of Internship: Access to Internships (A2I)

Company Name: OverAir

Job Title: Marketing Co-ordinator

Description Of Company: OverAir works exclusively with Apple products, we are also certified Mac Technicians, meaning we use Apple diagnostics and Apple parts where needed. We specialise in helping businesses, schools, and individuals with all things technical, including; troubleshooting, repairs, upgrades and general advice. With Apple certified experience across the entire product range, you’re in the safest of hands.

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

I was first in charge of building their social media presence, mainly on Facebook and Instagram, as well as designing and organising the company van to get wrapped. Recently, I have helped to organise and promote their first giveaway and going forward, I am designing and organising new signage for their new offices, as well as maintaining their social media presence.

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?

I produced a social media campaign that focused on their giveaway. This gave me further insight into using social media for a business. I also designed their van wrapping, being introduced to new design platforms.  

What was your biggest achievement on your internship? 

I organised the giveaway of a new iPad. This involved promoting on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, working with a budget in order to maximise social media campaigns as well as organising, copy-writing and sending out their first email to their customer list of over 900 people. This resulted in over 400 entries to the giveaway and over 5 thousand engagements on Facebook.

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

My first initial task was to design and organise the van sticker and wrapping. This involved visiting a business partner of his in Torquay, who is a designer. While we ended up with a great design, I found it challenging working with the company who were to translate our design onto the van. Eventually, I researched other companies and I am currently working with a different person to translate my design onto the van. I have already received more and better communication with this company.

Skills Learnt: 

• Ability to Work Under Pressure
  • Organisation
  • Decision Making
  • Researching
  • Time and Work Load Management

Attributes Developed:

• Initiative
  • Perseverance
  • Professionalism
  • Confidence
  • Motivation

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“My internship gave me insight into a small, independent business. The manager worked closely with me, giving me insight and opportunities to learn about his business, social media marketing and I even visited a designer in Torquay to learn about new design tools. The internship was very relaxed and flexible and I am happy to say it has been extended for another term.”