Student Case Study: SITU

Name of Student:  Olivia McDonald

Degree Subject: BSc Geography

Type of Internship: Green Consultants Scheme

Company Name: SITU

Job Title: Green Consultant

Description Of Company: Our range of serviced apartments in Exeter have been handpicked for corporate and leisure travellers. Across our range of Exeter accommodation, guests can enjoy the luxury of fully functioning kitchens, comfortable beds and spacious rooms in their own home-away-from-home. Our Exeter apartments options are located close to the city centre too, convenient for whatever your trip entails, whether it be for business or leisure.

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

The main focus of my work was exploring and proposing ways to improve the sustainability side of the company. With SITU already having taken several steps to improve its environmental impact, this required me to think beyond basic suggestions. Some of my tasks therefore involved researching what other serviced accommodation providers were doing, completing an aspects and impacts register, exploring carbon offsetting options for the company and clients, and creating a sustainability questionnaire for suppliers.

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?

I was asked to complete and present several outputs, each being specific to a different task. These included a breakdown of twelve carbon offsetting projects, with included the project details, benefits and costs. Additionally, I had to complete an aspects and impacts register and write a presentation about sustainability for other workers. I also kept a document with suggestions for ways to improve the office’s environmental footprint, office item alternatives and sustainable gift options for clients.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

When I began my internship, I was somewhat thrown in at the deep end and given a long list of tasks (all of which I was asked if I was happy to tackle, and I was). However, many of the tasks I had no previous experience doing which meant that I learnt a huge amount as I went along. As I completed each task, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. My proudest moment was the company saying that they would love to have me back again in the future!

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

I honestly cannot think of anything that did not go well; the whole experience was wonderful! I was particularly grateful to be able to work every other day over two weeks, this turned out to be a really good working pattern.

Skills Learnt: 

• Ability to Work Under Pressure
  • Organisation
  • Decision Making
  • Researching
  • Time and Work Load Management

Attributes Developed:

• Confidence
  • Initiative
  • Perseverance
  • Professionalism
  • Motivation

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“I could not recommend this enough! It is thanks to the Green Consultant Scheme that I was able to gain insight into the world of sustainability consulting, and as a result I am now certain that this is something I would love to pursue in the future.”