Student Communications Officer – University of Exeter

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

My main responsibility as Student Communications Officer for CEMPS was to produce student newsletters for the Exeter and Penryn campuses. To create these, I needed to source news items, both via email and by interviewing staff, and construct them into a newsletter format. I was also responsible for regularly updating the CEMPS social media pages with news and opportunities for students.

As an English student, I was able to familiarise myself with an entirely different side of campus, and feel that I have excelled in this environment. It has been a great experience for me, as I have been able to broaden my view of University life at Exeter, as well as test my ability to work in a variety of different environments.

I worked independently on the CEMPS student newsletters throughout my internship, which allowed my line manager to get on with other things. I also played a role in regularly updating the CEMPS Facebook and Twitter pages, which meant in turn that the College was able to maintain its social media presence.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

Occasionally I was unable to source enough information for the student newsletters; I overcame this issue by searching for news and opportunities not only on the University website, but further afield using websites such as Café Scientifique. As a result, I was able to make the newsletters interesting to read, and they always went out on time.