Technical Research Assistant – Centre for Alternative Materials and Remanufacturing Technologies, University of Exeter

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

Working with CALMARE my main focus was helping small and medium enterprises in the South West, in the form of ‘Business Assists’ which involved consultancy on materials testing, development and sustainability. This was part-funded through the European Regional Development Fund. The projects were hugely variable, from competitor analysis to product development; from the deployment of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) systems to the development of aesthetic lighting systems.

I also supported the delivery of an art exhibition “From Cowboys to Astronauts” which showcased work from 25 South West artists. It focused on recycled materials, and was designed to promote the concept of circular economy. This involved setting up and taking down at two venues, engaging with the artists, businesses and general public.

I developed my networking skills and ability to present myself professionally to businesses. I also improved my time management skills.

I delivered high quality work on time, and used a variety of skills not assessed in the original application; from the design of marketing materials to photography. I was able to add specialist knowledge (physics) to an already varied team, and was quick to learn both the procedural aspects of the job and the extra knowledge needed for the position.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

Over the last year I have come to accept challenging circumstances in my personal life, and my internship helped me focus and accept what life throws at us.