Trainee Mental Health Support Worker – University of Exeter

What were your main roles and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

My main responsibilities involved going on home visits with the well-being navigators to observe and support their one-to-one meetings with clients. I was also involved in co-facilitating the well-being groups across South Somerset offering support to people suffering with low level mental health problems. Alongside this I was carrying out a research project gathering information on the different support available for people with specific needs such as eating disorders, older people, bi-polar etc.

My biggest achievement was gaining practical knowledge of mental health and gaining the confidence to use this knowledge to support people who needed it.

I was able to carry out this research project that the other staff would not have had time to do without me. I was also able to fill in for people co-facilitating the groups when they were off sick or on holiday.

What skills were you able to develop through the internship?

Time and workload management, focus on goals and outcomes, research

What attributes were you able to develop through the internship?

Confidence, personal awarenes and work ethic