Community Engagement Officer – Bite the Ballot

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I was responsible for encouraging more young people to register to vote. This was achieved by having an active presence in schools, colleges and the university. Sessions would be run in each institution that visited and I would explain the importance of registering and voting and how both of these work in practice. Furthermore, I also worked closely with the local authority Cornwall Council. In working closely with the local authority, I was also responsible for having an active social media presence on both Twitter and Facebook. I also took part in a number of radio interviews with Pirate FM and BBC Radio Cornwall and I was fortunate in gaining coverage from the BBC programme ‘The Sunday Politics’.

All of my work with Bite the Ballot was aimed at ensuring that Cornwall witnessed a successful National Voter Registration Day. I am currently concluding my time with Bite the Ballot by having further registration drives before the general election, followed by promoting a new Voter Advice Application that can help inform voters about who they should vote for in relation to the views that they hold.

What would you say was your biggest achievement over the course of your internship?

My biggest achievement was successfully overseeing the registration of 1500 young voters in just one day

What benefits did your internship bring to your employer?

I helped promote Bite the Ballot in Cornwall and I was successful in overseeing huge increases in the number of young people who are now registered to vote.