Christmas is coming! The decorations are up in the Forum, and we’ve even got lights in the Forum Library’s very own Seal Courtyard – looking lovely! But as the end of term approaches, as well as planning any festivities, it’s also time to start thinking about how you might want to manage your library borrowing over the coming vacation period.
What you need to know: The Forum Library is open 24/7 throughout the holiday (see our opening hours page for information on Library staff availability) and our loan rules continue as usual during this period.
What does this mean for you?
This means for the many students and staff who arrive or choose to stay in Exeter during holiday periods we are here and open to provide help, support, study space and the resources you need. If you are going away from Exeter you are welcome to take books with you (though we advise against taking Library resources abroad) but do keep in mind that you will be responsible for renewing any items you borrow regularly throughout the vacation. You can do this online by logging in to your Library record. Please remember also that books can still be recalled by other library users.
How do recalls work?
If a book on loan to you is requested by another Library user, you will get an email informing you of this and providing a new date by which to return it. So it is important you check your email regularly if you are borrowing stock during the holidays. Recalled books cannot be renewed and may be due earlier than the original due date. With normal loan books, you should get a week within which to return the item. This should be sufficient time to return the items by UK post if necessary and you are welcome to do this. Library books should not be taken overseas.
Our recall policy exists to ensure fair access to our stock for all library users, so don’t forget if the books you need are on loan you can recall them at any time of year. Learn more about how to place reservations here.
As always if you need help, or have any questions about managing your library record do please get in touch:
5 Top tips for smart borrowing during the festive period:
- Return any books you don’t need before you leave Exeter. Please don’t leave Library resources locked up in your room or office over the break, it isn’t fair to take them out of circulation if you’re not using them either and they could get recalled by other borrowers.
- If you do take our normal or short loan books away with you, be sure to renew them regularly. We advise against taking Express Collections items away from Exeter.
- Think Recall! Any item you borrow can be recalled by another user so please check your email regularly and be prepared to return items by post if necessary.
- Staff are here to help! If you have any problems or questions about recalls, renewals or anything else please get in touch as soon as possible. Library staff available to help every day throughout the vacation period with the exception of December 25th, December 26th and January 1st. On these days the Forum Library is available for study and self-service borrowing via swipe card access only.
- Don’t forget, the Library is so much more than just printed books: we also provide access to over 100 research databases, more than 30,000 electronic journals and thousands of e-books. All our electronic resources are available off campus, so you may not need to take hard copies away with you!