How life led me to the University of Exeter

Hi! I’m LP and I started my Masters in Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture in September this year. Wondering how on earth I ended up doing this very strange sounding course? Here is what happened –

Towards the end of my undergraduate course at the University of Birmingham, I was at my wit’s end trying to figure out what I wanted to do next. I knew I wanted to do a postgraduate degree but two questions remained — what and where?

That’s when I came across the University of Exeter. I was surfing the internet, trying to see if any courses caught my fancy. I had no idea what I was even looking for.  And suddenly, I saw the course ‘MSc Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture’. I read through the prospectus online, went through the modules offered and the course structure. It seemed perfect. There was teaching involved and I got to do some research. And…..there were field trips! Bonus! Plus, it was a relevant topic and really multidisciplinary.

How not to fall in love with hidden gems like  this around campus?!!

With mounting excitement, I read the website information about the campus, accommodation, student life, international student community and then, finally, the city itself. I saw the pictures of the campus and I was enraptured. I just knew! I knew that I had the answers to the ‘what and where’!

I applied to the University that day and heard back within the week! I was ecstatic to learn I had gotten admission. My decision to join the University was initially because I really liked the course and all the opportunities it has to offer. Then, I really liked the location and the campus. I felt safe knowing that the university has a very diverse student base and the city has everything an international student would need. The more I read about it, the more it appealed to me.

The weeks of preparation flew past. I liked that I had plenty of guidance from the online resources, be it applying for a visa, or packing my things. Then, I arrived at the University of Exeter. It was love at first sight! I loved the beautiful campus, the amazing views and the amazing people! Everywhere, everyone was friendly and always perfectly willing to help.

With every passing day, I know with certainty that this is the best decision I ever made! I’m enjoying my course, trying new things, making bolder choices and most of all, having fun!

My favorite view on campus!!

November 24th, 2017    International, Postgraduate