Molly, Human Resources, Recruitment and Training

Molly, MSc Human Resource Management student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to gain knowledge about the field of Human Resources and becoming more confident in professional situations. Through the scheme, Molly was matched with a Politics Graduate from the University of Exeter, is a Human Resources Consultant at West Sussex County Council.

Molly tells us more about her experience below:

What objectives did you achieve?

From talking to my career mentor I have a better understanding of HR in different sectors and types of organisation. I also have a better understanding of more general HR roles as well as more specialised ones. This knowledge will really help me with deciding what kind of HR role would suit me best.

What were your highlights of the scheme?

I really enjoyed getting to know my career mentor a bit better, and hearing how she got into HR in the first place. It was great that I was able to meet her and she was very supportive of me and what I was doing.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

I would definitely recommend applying for the Career Mentor Scheme as it is an excellent opportunity for you to be able to talk to a professional in the field for a long period of time. This was immensely helpful for me and built my confidence about applying for jobs. My career mentor also helped me with my CV and answered all of the many questions I had about that profession. We have stayed in touch and they have kindly offered to provide further help or guidance if I need it which is amazing.