David Newman spends Research Visit at Diamond Light Source

Second year PGR David Newman reports on his latest visit to Diamond Light Source, the UK’s national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire.

Between the 9th and 17th of December, I was at the Diamond Light Source in Didcot, near Oxford. The first few days were devoted to a project meeting for the “Picosecond Dynamics of Magnetic Exchange Springs” project where I presented my work on the inverse spin Hall effect to our collaborators from the University of Southampton, University of Oxford and Diamond Light Source. This allowed us to take stock of our current position and plot the best course forward for the respective project partners.

After this I was working on a beamtime at the Diamond Light Source using the X-ray ferromagnetic resonance (XFMR) spectroscopy capabilities of the I10 station. Our aim being to investigate if a Mn spylayer could be used to study an exchange spring locally. This provided a great opportunity to gather vast amounts of data, consolidate understanding with collaborators and gain further experience in running XFMR experiments per my PhD title.