Emily Glover awarded PhD!

Dr Emily Glover

Congratulations to Dr Emily Glover, who recently completed her PhD. Emily’s thesis was titled ‘Magnetic metamaterials for innovative solutions to the inductive tagging problem’. During her time at the CDT Emily published a paper on ‘A Ferrite-Filled Cavity Resonator for Electronic Article Surveillance on Metallic Packaging‘ and was involved with multiple Outreach schemes, including Pint of Science, CoachBright and WOMAD. She was a co-organiser of Minerva Prize Colloquium and won three conference prizes: Best Contributed Paper at Rank Prize Symposium and PGR contributions, Best Poster winner at IOP Magnetism 2021 and Best Poster winner at Exeter Acoustics Metamaterials Meeting in April 2018.

Emily looks back over her time with the CDT and the experience of undertaking a PhD:

When I started my PhD, I thought that I knew what I was getting myself in for. A lot of physics, quite a few experiments, some computer modelling (whatever that was), and maybe an occasional conference where I would be able to present my research.

Now, having come out the other end with a new title, I can say that my PhD was simultaneously nothing and everything like I expected. Looking back, as I am about to leave research and academia, I still can’t quite believe it’s all over and I’m a doctor.

While there were times that everything seemed to break and go wrong, there were also the times when we were able to see what we were looking for. When the models agreed with the experimental results and showed us more of what was happening. And, of course, all of the conferences that I was able to go on. They really are an opportunity that I would encourage everyone to take advantage of, not just for the opportunity to see new parts of the world, but to also meet PhD students from across the country and the world.

I know I have grown so much in the last four and a half years, not just academically but also as a person. For anyone who is just starting their PhD journey, my advice is to try and steer your work so that your research is as enjoyable as possible. There will be times when boring parts of the project have to be done, so try and make them the exception to your project, rather than the rule. My second piece of advice is to make sure you still enjoy everything outside of the PhD, both in terms of outreach, teaching and committees that you can be a part of at the university, but also in terms of hobbies and friends. Your research doesn’t have to be all you do for four years.

The last thing I want to say is thank you, to everyone in the magnetism and acoustics groups, everyone who is a part of the EPSRC Centre For Doctoral Training in Metamaterials (XM2) at the University of Exeter, and finally my friends and family. My PhD wouldn’t have been the overall enjoyable experience that it was without you.

Emily has co-authored the following publications:

2019

• December 2019, P. S. Keatley, E. R. Glover, B. Tremain, I. R. Hooper, A. P. Hibbins, R. J. Hicken, ‘A Ferrite-Filled Cavity Resonator for Electronic Article Surveillance on Metallic Packaging’, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Volume 55, Issue 12 (2019)

Emily has presented at the following conferences and workshops:

• E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, R.J. Hicken, A.P. Hibbins; Poster: Tunable Magnetoelastic Phononic Crystals, Magnetism 2021, online, April 2021 (won Best Poster) 
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, R.J. Hicken, A.P. Hibbins; Presentation: Tunable Magnetoelastic Phononic Crystals, Rank Symposium on Optoelectronics, Grasmere, UK, October 2019 (won Best Contributed Paper prize)
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, R.J. Hicken, A.P. Hibbins; Presentation: Tunable Magnetoelastic Phononic Crystals, Ischia, Italy, October 2019
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, R.J. Hicken, A.P. Hibbins; Poster: Tunable Magnetoelastic Phononic Crystals, Phononics 2019, Tucson, USA, June 2019 (also presented lightning slide)
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, R.J. Hicken, A.P. Hibbins; Presentation: Tunable Magnetoelastic Phononic Crystals, Elasticity Day 2019, Exeter, UK, May 2019
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, B. Tremain, I.R. Hooper, A.P. Hibbins, R.J. Hicken; Presentation: A ferrite-filled cavity resonator for electronic article surveillance on metallic packaging, Magnetism 2019, Leeds, UK, April 2019
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, A.P. Hibbins, R.J. Hicken; Poster: Electronic Article Surveillance Tags for Metallic Packaging in the Retail Sector, KTN SET2019- Metamaterials, Birmingham, UK, March 2019
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, A.P. Hibbins, R.J. Hicken; Poster: Phononic Band Engineering For Acousto Magnetic Tagging, IOA Meeting, Birmingham, UK, September 2018
  • E.R. Glover, P.S Keatley, A.P. Hibbins, R.J. Hicken; Poster: Phononic Band Engineering For Acousto Magnetic Tagging, Exeter Acoustics Metamaterials Meeting, Exeter, UK, April 2018 (won Best Poster)