Sathya Seetharaman – viva successfully completed. Next up: a career in industry.

Time to celebrate: Sathya surrounded by his colleagues (CDT in Metamaterials PGRs and supervisors).

Very many congratulations to Sathya Sai Seetharaman who successfully defended his PhD thesis “Electromagnetic interactions in one-dimensional metamaterials” on 24 July 2018.  Sathya was supervised by Prof Bill Barnes and Dr Ian Hooper and will soon be starting a position as Metamaterials Scientist at Metaboards Ltd in Oxford. Congratulations to Sathya, and all involved in his success!

Well done. We look forward to welcoming Sathya back as an alumni to inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers at Exeter.

Sathya bids his farewell with a summary of his experience in the CDT:

The part I enjoyed most while working in the CDT was that everyone always had questions and someone else was always able to provide a solution. I realised that this was the success of functioning as a cohort, combining researchers with different expertise together.

No matter how difficult I estimated a situation to be, be it in a placement or even tackling the job interview for my dream job, I always found myself thinking on my feet, coming up with answers and solutions. I owe the CDT for training me, bettering my thinking process and preparing me for an industrial job.

The creativity events, job interview training, writing skills training and the CBC sessions in particular helped identify my training needs and improve on them. If I have any advice to offer to my CDT juniors, it would be this – the secret to getting the most out of CDT organised training events is to experience them with an open mind and to use the opportunity to identify training areas where you need improvement.”

*** Read more about Sathya’s thesis abstract and information on highlights of his time in the CDT: http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/xm2news/sathya-submission/  ***