Rebecca, Law and Legal Services

Rebecca, an undergraduate student studying English, was looking to gain some support and guidance into Law. Through the Career Mentor Scheme, she was assigned to a partner at Ropes & Gray LLP. Within this role he is focused on private equity, public and private M&A and innovative special situation deals.

washington-dc-6-1235114

Following regular communication with her mentor, Rebecca told us about the most valuable aspects of the scheme for her. Rebecca met all of her objectives, including gaining a greater confidence for the application process and gaining a training contract.

What were the highlights of the scheme for you?

Every time I spoke or met with my mentor, he always gave me a real confidence boost that helped me persevere through the gruelling application process to become a trainee solicitor. My main highlight was sharing the news of my job offers with my mentor at the end of the summer. He supported and guided me through the decision of which offer to take. My mentor’s advice was impartial and insightful, and I feel that he helped me make the best decision for me.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

My mentor’s insight and advice were extremely useful, from application/cv proofreading to general advice about self-confidence and personal development. His help didn’t just help with an insight into the industry and finding a job, but with the whole process, including dealing with rejections, interview stress, and balancing my job hunt with academic work and personal life.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Schemes?

The Career Mentor Scheme is invaluable. In building a relationship with my mentor I received honest advice and a genuine insight into the legal profession. I feel that the scheme works best if you are well-prepared and hardworking; your mentor is not there to do the hard work for you, but to help refine your skills and direct your drive so you can achieve your maximum potential. I felt that my mentor genuinely cared about my development, and it was great to have someone in the profession to share both my difficulties and successes with.

Rebecca’s mentor also noted several highlights from the scheme:

“The highlight was Rebecca being awarded a first class degree and then going on to secure a training contract with Allen & Overy.”