Jake, Charity and Development

Jake, a Geography student, was interested in charity work after volunteering in the sector with a variety of organisations. He wanted to gain contacts and develop a deeper insight into the industry. Through the Career Mentor Scheme, Jake was matched with the Founder & Managing Director of Bhubesi Pride Foundation. His previous work experience includes Design, Technology and Physics Teacher at Dean Close School and Graduate Engineer for Parsons Brinckernoff.

“A great way to learn real life experience from someone who has been successful”

Jake achieved all of his objectives, including receiving academic support, increased knowledge of job hunting in this sector and improved personal development skills. He also described a personal objective of “working on a personal development plan throughout the scheme, allowed me to identify how I can improve myself through different scenarios.”

Jake shared his experience:

What were the highlights of the scheme?

Feeling as though I and Richard really got on well, both on a professional and personal level. I feel as though Richard believes in me as a person and really wants to push me forward in life.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

Having a one to one basis for experience in the charity sector was probably the most useful. Richard and I worked on much of the development on the same level, and I liked the way that I could suggest improvements for myself as I progressed through the scheme.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

Great way to learn real life experience in your charity from someone who has been successful and only wants the best for you! It may be scary at first but once you meet them then you’ll feel suddenly more relaxed.