Huijian, Education, Training and Research

Huijian, a TESEOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) student, was interested in a career in teaching and wanted help to improve her English teaching skills and classroom management. Through the Career Mentor Scheme, Huijian was matched with a retired Head teacher with employment history as a Corporate Social Responsibility Manager for the Yellow Pages and Education Manager at Young Offenders Institute. This mentor has a Certificate in Education and a National Professional Qualification for Headship.

I got the job I want in China by the end of this scheme”

Huijian was able achieve all of her objectives including improving her professional skills, such as designing a lesson, classroom management and was able to observe a lesson given by her mentor.

Huijian shared her experience:

What were the highlights of the scheme?

The knowledge and experience I gained from the scheme was helpful in my job application. I got the job I want in China by the end of this scheme.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

More confidence and understanding the commitment of being a teacher.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

The scheme will be a great help to your career if you are willing to take advice and use them.