Koren, Politics and Government

Koren, Geography student, was interested in a career in politics and government and so applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to gain confidence in graduate applications and gain an understanding of what a government career entails. Through the scheme, Koren was matched with the Bill and Policy Lead for Scotland Office, UK Government. This mentor’s main responsibilities is managing the Scotland Bill which involves regularly briefing Ministers, engaging with stakeholders and the media.

“I have learnt how to effectively demonstrate the key skills”

Koren has achieved all of her objectives including improved personal development skills, knowledge of effective interview techniques in sector and received help with her CV.

What were your highlights of the scheme?

I now feel a lot more confident when I apply for graduate jobs, and I have learnt how to effectively demonstrate the key skills and attributes that are required in my chosen sector. I was also very impressed with the commitment that my mentor demonstrated to answering any questions that I had and proofreading job and internship applications. My mentor has also continued to help me even though the scheme has now finished, so I believe that this scheme has given me a really valuable contact that I would not have had otherwise.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

The opportunity to speak to someone with experience in my chosen sector, learning about Civil Service interview techniques and how to answer interview questions effectively.