Lara, Charity and Development Work

Lara, History student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to gain key employability skills, but also learn more about pursuing a career in the charitable sector. Through the scheme, Lara was matched with the Alumni Relations Manager at Royal Holloway, University of London. This mentor’s role involves managing relationships, drafting communications and organising events for both staff and students.

“Receive first hand advice in a relaxed and enjoyable environment.”

Lara achieved many objectives including receiving an offer of future help with applications, advice on using LinkedIn successfully and improved personal development skills.

Lara shared her experience:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

I really enjoyed the scheme and meeting my mentor in person was a key highlight as it allowed me to have a really in depth discussion about my career options, and receive a lot of advice personal to me.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

Important advice on how best to fill out applications and networking opportunities.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

It really is such a great opportunity to gain a real insight into your chosen sector and receive first hand advice in a relaxed and enjoyable environment.