Louis, Engineering and Product Design

Louis, Computer Science student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to learn about the different roles within the industry and gain and understanding of the day-to-day activities. Through the scheme, Louis was matched with the Head of Product for Crowdcude Ltd.

“I am sure this will help me with future applications to internships and jobs.

Louis shared his experience:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

A highlight of the scheme for me was the interview practice my mentor gave me. It made me aware of many aspects recruiters might look for I would otherwise have not known about. It helped me to better understand which areas I will have to work on to improve and I am sure this will help me with future applications to internships and jobs.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

I found the insight my mentor could provide me into the role of a Product Manager particularly useful. I did not know that such a role exists and how relevant it is to many successful tech companies. Over the last couple of months I learned much more about this and found that it is an incredibly interesting career to pursue.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

It is time well spent. You can learn a lot from someone who works in a job related to your own aspirations and this understanding will definitely help you to write better applications.