Charlotte, Banking and Financial Services

Charlotte, Management with Marketing student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to expand her knowledge of different industries and learn more about building confidence in networking. Through the scheme, Charlotte was matched with a Management with History and Industrial Experience graduate from the University of Exeter who is now a Senior Manager at Barclaycard with years of experience with the organisations and within the banking industry.

Charlotte tells us more about her experience below:

What objectives did you achieve?

Charlotte achieved all of her objectives including:

• Increased knowledge of effective interview techniques in this sector
  • Improved personal development skills
  • Widened my contacts and networking opportunities

Charlotte also gained advice for her fourth year of studies and graduate job applications.

What were your highlights of the scheme?

CV check, shared with me his old CVs & personal development plans, mock telephone interview with one of my mentor’s colleagues.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

CV advice, talked through the whole application process and this gave insightful information which I did not know, mock telephone interview with really detailed feedback.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

I would fully recommend applying for the scheme. You can shape the relationship with your mentor so there is such a wide range of things to get out of the scheme.