Nivya, Accounting and Auditing

Nivya, Business Administration student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to learn about potential business opportunities, gain exposure to employment openings and enhance her current skillset. Through the scheme, Nivya was matched with an Accounting graduate from the University of Exeter who is now a Director at Starfield Management Ltd with responsibilities such as Chief Restructuring Officer.

Nivya tells us more about her experience below:

What objectives did you achieve?

Nivya achieved many objectives including:

• Increased knowledge of effective interview techniques in this sector
  • Improved knowledge of further education and professional courses related to this sector
  • Increased knowledge sector entry requirements

Nivya also wanted advice in prioritising and researching the three career options that she was considering. Her mentor helped her do this.

What were your highlights of the scheme?

My mentor was very supportive and helped me regain my confidence in being able to prepare and face interviews.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

Insight into the profession and its pros and cons in the United Kingdom.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

The Career Mentor Scheme is very helpful. But, it depends on your own initiative in getting the most of it. I received insight about being able to choose the right career path by weighing the pros and cons of the options available. I could get rid of doubts that I had of my career options. My Mentor was very supportive and flexible with regards to time and dates as well.