We sent our Neurodiversity and Autism Leaflet to all the diagnostic services in the UK, it is aimed at parents of newly diagnosed children and adults who are newly diagnosed. We also produced an ‘Easy-Read’ Version to increase accessibility to our resource. Both versions have been uploaded to the Times Educational Supplement and the NASEN SEND gateway as permanently available online resources.
Here are links to other neurodiversity resources:
- Suburban Autistics ‘Welcome to parenting within the Neurodiversity Paradigm’ by Ally Grace: http://suburbanautistics.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/welcome-to-parenting-within.html
- Everyday Feminism ‘Here’s What Neurodiversity Is – And What It Means for Feminism’ by Cara Leibowitz: http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/03/neurodiversity-101/
- Autism Resources by Kit Mead: https://kpagination.wordpress.com/autism-resources/#beingautistic
- Neurodiversity: Some Basic Terms & Definitions by Nick Walker: http://neurocosmopolitanism.com/neurodiversity-some-basic-terms-definitions/
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network: http://autisticadvocacy.org/2014/02/welcome-to-the-autistic-community/
- Paginated Thoughts https://kpagination.wordpress.com/autism-resources/#beingautistic
Current Diagnostic Manuals
E-books and PDFs
- AutAngel ‘Being Autistic‘: http://www.autangel.org.uk/being-autistic-book.html
- Neurodiversity definitions, principles, practice, and development by Nick Walker: https://autloveaccept.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/finalneurodiversity.pdf
- The Autism NOW Center and the Autistic Self Advocacy Network Welcome to the Autistic Community!: http://autisticadvocacy.org/2014/02/welcome-to-the-autistic-community/
- Autism Love Accept Parenting Children with Autism with Love and Respect: https://autloveaccept.wordpress.com
- The National Autistic Society Online Community: http://community.autism.org.uk/
Neurodiversity / Autism groups:
This site is run by and for autistic adults. ARGH members are all people who have an Autistic spectrum condition.
This site connects you with other autistics online and offline.
This web community is designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences.
This site is by Dr. Kristien Hens (philosopher and ethicist). It is a European Autism Network of social sciences and humanities.
This is a site that finds out about diagnosing autism (including Asperger syndrome), and the impact on people and their families. Find advice and support on all aspects of life with autism.
This site provides a service that aims at delivering support solutions that help individuals to develop strategies in relation to managing the impact of their autism and generate positive outcomes in relation to their needs as an individual and take ownership of their own lives and futures.
This site lists practical services for children and adults with an autistic spectrum condition and for those who love and care for them.
This film was made by Kai and is about ADHD.
List of BBC short films about challenging perceptions about disability.
A poetic documentary that chronicles an artist’s transformative journey from childhood abuse to psych ward inpatient to pioneering mental health advocacy.
An autism research news and opinion site.
A thorough article on sleep and autism.
A handbook for embracing neurodiversity in the creative industry.
This site provides information on a three day conference by and for autistic people. The conference comprises of workshops and activities specifically orientated to the needs and preferences of autistic people in a quiet and friendly environment.
This site supports effective education practice.
This site gives information on speech, language and communication therapy information, activities and products.
This site helps to increase awareness of autism, with the main goal to improve the quality of life for persons with autism.
This site is operated by parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. It offers multi-media, autism information, news, articles, and support for those affected by autism and their families
This site provides further links and information.
This site simplifies information gathering and evaluating processes for families dealing with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
This site is to primarily support counsellors and help them better serve their clients.
This site provides online advice and support to help parents understand and support their child.
This site is the leading professional body for the education, training and accreditation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors.
This site is a comprehensive list of blogs by Actually Autistic bloggers.