Chenyun, Accounting and Auditing

Chenyun wanted to get into the Accounting and Auditing sector. During her year of completing a postgraduate degree in Accounting and Finance she participated in the Career Mentor Scheme and was matched with Director at Old Mill Accountancy LLP.

After graduating from Accountancy Studies in Exeter, this mentor first worked at EY as Corporate Finance Manager for six year. He then moved on to hold the same position at Peplows Chartered Accountants.

in-business-1238919

Chenyun found the scheme extremely useful.

I gained passion in my future career and become clearer of what I am after.

What were the highlights of the scheme for you?

I had very little confidence at the beginning. By listening to me talking about my experience, my mentor identified some of my natural strengths that I had never before realized I had, which greatly boosted my confidence. He also gave me a lot of encouragement during the process, and the encouragement from a senior professional really means a lot to me.

From the first meeting until my final work experience with my mentor, he was really passionate about his work, which inspired me greatly.

When I was about to take an assessment centre, I asked my mentor for some help in report writing. He then showed me a report he had just finished and briefly explained it to me. Not only did I gain a rough idea of the format and language required, I also got excited about writing the report and became more determined to pursue the career path I [have chosen].

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

The face-to-face meeting made our communication more effective and promoted deeper understanding of each other.

The two-week work experience gave me a real insight into what it is like to work for a UK accountancy firm.

My mentor’s rich experience in working in different sized accountancy firms and coaching has successfully helped me decide which career path I am after and gave me confidence that I can do well in my chosen profession.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

Career Mentor Scheme gives you an excellent opportunity to establish a closer bond with an experienced professional in your ideal career and he/she can be a role model to inspire you in pursuing such career.

This mentor said:

“I felt that I did make a difference to how my Mentee perceived herself and her achievements, in particular, that she demonstrates leadership in all sorts of ways, not necessarily by being nominally the leader.
She came to our office for a couple of weeks work experience and was incredibly hard-working and committed. Most of all though, the staff became more attached to her than possibly any of the other interns we’ve previously had.”