Toby, Management and Consultancy

Ancient History student Toby applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to be matched with a Director at Inspired Exchange. This mentor has been in the Management and Consultancy sector for a long time. Previous positions he has held include Assistant Director of Leisure at Hackney Borough Council,  Independent Leisure Consultant and Projects Director at  London Events Agency.

Toby Gladwin

Toby had a lot of positive feedback to share with us regarding how the scheme helped his career development.

What were the highlights of the scheme for you?

My mentor was incredibly friendly yet always professional. He set the precedent and he seemed to respect and enjoy the enthusiasm and engagement that I came with. On leaving my first meeting I felt like I could have walked into any interview and got the job. My mentor installed confidence in my through an understanding of the process and the requirements of employers and belief in my abilities and suitability. He is an excellent mentor to have and I am incredibly thankful to him for his time, energy and continuing support.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

My mentor was very direct, when working through my CV, career path or any interview questions, he would always answer in an incredibly transparent fashion. He verbally ranked my experiences/attributes on my first CV and helped explain how ‘facts and stories’ make the most convincing reading. I know have full confidence in my CV and am excited for the next stage.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

My mentor helped me get from a shaky CV and a rough idea of jobs after university to a solid CV I have full confidence in and a job offer when I graduate. What have you got to lose?