Chris, Financial Markets and the City

Economics student Chris had a passion for the Financial Markets and the City and wanted to pursue this career path. He was accepted onto the Career Mentor Scheme and was matched with an Investment Manager at Risk Capital Partners LLP.

linkedin

Chris had some amazing feedback to give about the way the Career Mentor Scheme helped his career development.

What were the highlights of the scheme for you?

Being able to gain a thorough insight into the area of finance that my mentor works in. It is very difficult to get first-hand experience through the internet, so having a contact within the industry was an invaluable opportunity. My mentor helped me with techniques and gave me fantastic advice for EY’s internship scheme and assisted me throughout the process.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

Discussion about work experience are ongoing, but the insight that I have gained about the daily work life that my mentor participates in gave me a fantastic ground to base my future career decisions upon.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

Participating in the Career Mentor Scheme is one of the most rewarding opportunities you will get in your time at Exeter. If you have any questions or concerns about a specific career path, a mentor can provide you with real-life experience and help guide you through these doubts, ensuring that you make the most informed decision about your post-graduation choices. If you are applying for internships or industrial placements, mentors are experienced professionals who often employ workers, so there is no one better to help support you and provide you with advice on how to succeed in your applications. There is absolutely nothing to lose by partaking in the programme and it will help you on your first step in the career ladder.