Hannah, Science

Hannah, a Biochemistry student, was interested in learning more about scientific careers in different sectors, widening networking contacts and learning about the job application process. Through the Career Mentor Scheme, Hannah was matched with a Health Research Scientist for the Met Office with qualifications including PhD in Surgery and Civil Engineering, PGC in Workplace Organisation, CPhys, PGCE in Physics and Science, MInstP and MPhys in Physics with Astrophysics. This mentor also has previous experience as a Physicist, Lecturer and Product Development Scientist.

My mentor gave me some great feedback and tips

Hannah achieved all of her objectives including increased knowledge of sector entry requirements, increased knowledge of effective interview techniques in this sector and received help to improve CV.

Here is what Hannah said about the scheme:

What were the highlights of the scheme?

I had a mock interview which was very helpful and my mentor gave me some great feedback and tips on how to improve.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

Improved job application skills

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

If it will take you out of your comfort zone then it’s a sign that you should do it. Also, it is something you can add to your CV!