Hoi Yan, Banking and Financial Services

Hoi Yan, a Finance and Management student, wanted to pursue a career in corporate finance but needed the guidance of a experienced mentor to help her reach this goal. Through the scheme, Hoi Yan was matched with the Head of IPV and Curves for Centrica. This role involves product control, financial control and legal entity control and thereby has extensive experience relating to the finance division of corporate entities. This mentor’s previous work experience includes Vice President for JP Morgan, and he is also ACA qualified.

Hoi Yan achieved all of her objectives including personal target areas of work experience, job requirements and personal developments. Hoi Yan also increased knowledge of job hunting resources, improved knowledge of further professional sources related to this sector and increased knowledge of good and bad aspects of the profession.

Here is what Hoi Yan thought about her experience:

What were the highlights of the scheme?

During the scheme, I learnt about my career prospects and work experience which are very valuable through my mentor. This gave me an insight of developing my career prospects.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

My mentor’s work experience gave me inspiration for career development. During the mentor scheme, I was able to learn from his work experience and hence develop my personal skills.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

For students who are aggressive and eager to develop career prospects, it is an opportunity to get in touch with professionals. They could acquire best knowledge of their chosen sector and lean work experience from the tutor. It would be a valuable chance to improve their personal skills and create networking opportunities.