Chloe, Accounting and Auditing

Chloe, Economics with Econometrics student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to improve her application forms, receive advice with online testing and gain a better understanding of the accounting and audit industry. Through the scheme, Chloe was matched with the International Accounting and Audit Director at Crowe Horwath International. This mentor is an Executive Director, responsible for global audit leadership of an international network of accounting firms.

“I would highly recommend the Career Mentor Scheme to anyone who is looking to improve their employability.”

Chloe achieved all of her objectives including a personal objective: “I really wanted to explore the different roles within audit and accounting. My mentor really helped me do this and also provided really good advice regarding what employers look for in potential candidates. I also wanted to improve my CV and LinkedIn profile.

Chloe told us more about her experience:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

The best part of this scheme was the regular contact I had with my mentor. We arranged monthly Skype calls and I felt really comfortable talking to him. We arranged our meetings so that I had objectives to complete between each session and that I could update my mentor about my progress. We always had things to discuss.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

The insight into accounting/audit was really useful. I was applying to industrial placements whilst on the scheme and so having my mentor’s help during the application form process meant that I was able to improve my applications.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

My mentor helped me to explore future career options, improve my CV and understand what employers are looking for in candidates. I would highly recommend the Career Mentor Scheme to anyone who is looking to improve their employability.