Noor, Charity and Development

Noor, Geography student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to gain a better understanding of the Charity sector and have specific career related questions answered. Through the scheme, Noor was matched with the Chief Executive at The Haven. This mentor has also worked for the Royal Navy, Civil Service and Breast Cancer Haven.

“Take this opportunity and really engage with it”

Noor achieved all of her objectives, including a personal objective of gaining some understanding of the public sector which was achieved through meeting with her mentor and having in-depth conversations.

Noor shared her experience:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

The highlight for me was going to the workplace of my mentor for a face-to-face meeting. This gave me the opportunity to ask questions and for a conversation to flow much more naturally than it would have over the telephone.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

I found the detailed insight into my chosen sector the most useful part of the experience.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

Having a mentor not only allowed me to develop my potential in regard to employability but made me more confident in my own abilities. I feel, thanks to the career mentor scheme, I am now in a more advantageous position to be filling out applications and attending interviews. I would definitely advise future students considering the scheme to take this opportunity and really engage with it!