Lemoy, Financial Markets and the City

Lemoy, Economics student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to improve her employability skills and build up her interview techniques. Through the scheme, Lemoy was matched with a Markets Specialist for the Financial Conduct Authority. His main responsibilities include advising on investigations into insider dealing and market manipulation.

“It was really useful having a mock interview”

Lemoy achieved many objectives including increased knowledge of sector entry requirements, widened contacts and networking opportunities and increased knowledge of effective application forms in this sector.

Lemoy shared her experience:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

One highlight was seeing my mentor at his place of work, which really inspired me to achieve more and get into the financial industry. It was also really useful having a mock interview in his offices, which made it seem more realistic. It also helped with real interviews I had after this, as the first one I had arranged offered me the job!

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

I definitely found the mock interview the most useful part of this process. I always suffered from nerves going into an interview, but having practice ones made me more confident in real ones. Also, the fact that I now have a contact within an industry I’m interested in joining is invaluable.