Naomi, Education, Training and Research

Naomi, Geography student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to interact and learn from a current practicing teacher and find out more about how their career progressed. Through the scheme, Naomi was matched with a Teacher of Mathematics at Charterhouse. This mentor teaches students across ages 13 to 18, include IGCSE, Cambridge Pre U and IB diploma.

“Anybody considering applying to the scheme should do so”

Naomi achieved all of her objectives including to learn more about teaching in different types of schools, such as independent and state-sector, receiving academic support and increasing knowledge of finding internships and work experience in this sector.

Naomi shared her experience:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

The highlight of my time during the scheme has to be the honest and real insight into teaching I gained from my mentor. She discussed the highs and lows of the job with me, not to scare me but to make me aware of all the different aspects of teaching that I must consider. I can use this knowledge to develop suitable skills before I start applying for my PGCE and teaching positions. My mentor was lovely and always more than happy to answer any of my questions and help me with my CV. She is extremely personable and really well suited to the role of being a mentor.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

The Career Mentor Scheme is an extremely worthwhile venture and anybody considering applying to the scheme should do so. Personally, I think the biggest benefit of being a mentee is having the opportunity to gain a real and honest insight into a career/job that you are hoping to get into, the highs and lows. This is really important when developing skills that will strengthen job applications and interviews. My mentor was extremely friendly and was always happy to answer any questions I had and advise me on my CV. I had a really good experience with the Career Mentor Scheme and now feel more prepared for a career in teaching.